23 October 2010

homesick

There where my heart has settled long ago,
I must go, I must go.
Who could imagine I'd be wand'ring so
Far from the home I love?
Yet, there with my love, I'm home.
Hodel, Fiddler on the Roof

Today, while forced to be still in order to cope with the alleged "morning" sickness, I had ample opportunity to realize that I am, and have been, terribly homesick.  Home isn't quite home when somebody is absent.  It's not so much that he's been gone a terribly long time now; there have been only a few days over a month that he's been gone, and that's manageable.  What makes me homesick is knowing that there will be at least 11 more months to go.

A part of me is irritable because 11 months really isn't that much, and I am well aware of that.  I also know that others are in far worse situations than this.  But that doesn't change the pining of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment